Friday, January 11, 2013

Book Review #3: Looking For Alaska



*PLEASE DON'T READ THIS REVIEW IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK YET. This review contains SPOILERS. 



“That’s why I’m going. So I don’t have to wait until I die to start seeking a Great Perhaps.”

Pudge transfers to Culver Creek Boarding School and meets the Colonel (aka Chip Martin), Alaska Young, Takumi Hikohito and Lara Buterskaya. At the first part of the book (Before), Pudge narrates their exciting adventures- drinking, smoking, cutting classes, executing pranks; the second part (After) is heartbreaking and serious. I couldn’t believe what happened. I felt what all of the remaining characters felt. I was still trying to understand the beautiful, self-destructive Alaska but then just like what the Colonel and Pudge said..”Poof. Gone.” It was astounding how John Green can make a reader feel what the characters feel in the book. As I was reading, I felt like I was one of them- like I was also crying and blaming myself for a friend's sudden loss.

I also like how the labyrinth of suffering didn't get left out on the “After” part. Most of the books nowadays mention ‘something’ on the first part of the book and left it out on the latter. What I also I enjoyed the most is Dr. Hyde’s class. I don’t believe in religion but even I found that part of the book interesting.

Looking for Alaska left a huge hole in my heart. As a teenager, relating to the characters was easy. I was so excited on the first part but then as I got nearer and nearer to the end, I started slowing down because I didn't want to let go. I salute John Green for his ability to make a connection between the characters in the book and the readers. It was astonishing how I can feel what the characters feel. This book will not make you feel like a reader- it will make you feel like you are Pudge, the Colonel, Alaska Young and Takumi’s friend.  

One sentence to finish this review: Looking for Alaska made me want to seek the Great Perhaps. 
★★★★

2 comments:

  1. hi..thanks for adding me up on your reading list. i just followed you. love your blog.

    xoxo, Riza
    http://rzzzp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete