Saturday, January 12, 2013

Book Review #4: The Night Circus



Note: Hi people! Sorry for my lack of audio posts. I promise to post one later. :) Anyway, this is my first post for The Literary Exploration Challenge

Genre: Magical Realism




The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.”

I remember myself two weeks ago in the bookstore- contemplating on whether I should or should not buy this book. I was having second thoughts because of the reviews but the child inside me is longing for a ‘magical’ read, so I gave in to the temptation… and I’m glad I did.

The way Morgenstern described the Le Cirque des Reves was magnificent. She can make you feel like you are watching Celia Bowen perform magic, clapping as Tsukiko, the tattooed Japanese contortionist, situates her entire body into a small glass box, feeling the warmth from the heat of fire from Marco’s bonfire and smelling the ‘cinnamon things’ as you confusingly decide which tent to enter first.

I love how Morgenstern wrote the chapters from past to future. The questions you are longing for from the last chapter you've read would be answered by the next one. The way all the puzzle pieces fall into the right places in the end was splendid.    

I wanted to give the book five stars. The inner giddy child in me wanted it to be perfect. But I have to admit that it’s not. There are flaws- there are only few chapters that were exciting but the rest were dull. I was expecting for a climax; something exciting to happen. I was expecting for a battle between Celia and Marco but it did not happen. I found the part of Murray twins and Bailey even more interesting.

There are flaws in this book but I have to admit that I still loved it. It brought back my dreams of witnessing magic when I was still a child. Reading this book had been magical.

Keep believing in magic, my fellow rêveurs!   
★★★★(4.5)

2 comments:

  1. i had second thoughts on whether to include it in my to-read shelf. and because of this review, i think i should. thanks. I think I will read it when all my impt. works are done. :))

    ~ R

    ReplyDelete