Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book Review #2: About A Boy


*Note: Hi guys! I am finally back!!! So, I finally decided to post book reviews! I think it's better than just recommendations. If I only do recommendations, I couldn't post the books I hate(though I really find it hard to hate books). So yes, hooray for my new-found friend called productiveness! Hahaha! And also, I will make them more reader-friendly. :)


"You had to live in your own bubble. You couldn't force your way into someone else's, because then it wouldn't be a bubble any more.” 

One of the things I liked the most about this book is the humor. It is funny not in a way that will make you laugh out loud but the kind of funny that makes you want to hug the book for making you smile. Nick Hornby wrote this book in a very honest yet entertaining way. Though there are a lot of things going on, you wouldn't find yourself lost.

The connection between Marcus and Will is heartbreaking. He was bullied and Will was the only person he could confide to. The way Marcus wanted to be with Will even though Fiona, his mother, already told him not to do so, broke my heart. I wanted to dive into their world and just hug Marcus. But of course, I couldn't do anything than keep reading and see how it will turn out.  

I hated that it ended. I enjoyed it too much that I couldn't let go of the characters. I loved everything about it- the way the main characters build up as the story goes, the odd connection of a 12-year old weird boy and 36-year old carefree man, the way it tackles big issues-suicide, depression,single parenting- in its own small ways. 

Heartwarming. Funny. Honest. 

Other reviews here

"There had been times when he knew, somewhere in him, that he would get used to it, whatever it was, because he had learnt that some hard things became softer after a very little while.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment