Friday, February 15, 2013

Book Review: Why We Broke Up


Before I rant about how much I hated this book, I want to tell you first what I liked the most about it: the illustrations. All of it was beautiful.

That's where the good stuff ends for me, though. 

I finished this book even though I was so irritated with it! Though I wanted to stop after a hundred pages, I kept reading because I wanted to know the real reason why they broke up. But hey, it wasn't a good read at all. First of all, the references to fictional movies went on for pages and pages! It was unbearable. It was like the writer was trying to make the main character, Min, weird and cool at the same. That didn't work out for me. Instead, she sounded a bit pretentious. I cringed every time Min mentions another fictional movie. 

I didn't like the characters at all. Min sounded like a 10-year old blabbing about her first break-up. I hated that. She sounded so whinny and naive. I wanted to feel bad for her, believe me. But I just couldn't. I didn't feel any connection with anyone in the book at all.

Plus, all the letters she wrote to Ed was a bunch of worthless reasoning. The book is just all about how Min dissected the what-she-used-to-think-perfect memories and turned it into something awful. She sounded so bitter... and young. 

I loved Lemony Snicket more than Daniel Handler, by the way.

★(2 stars. 1.5 for the illustrations, .5 for the book.) 

Xx, ACG

2 comments:

  1. Wow - loved this review. It is so nice to know that someone else, occasionally, really does not like a book.

    Some days I think, "If I read one more 5-star review of a seriously crappy book, I'm gonna scream!" Thank you for the honesty.

    ReplyDelete