Monday, January 14, 2013

Book Review #5: Anna Dressed In Blood


*Note: Another post for Literary Exploration Challenge! 

Genre: Paranormal






"You make me want things I can't have."

This is probably the first book about ghosts that I read in one sitting. As we all know, bookstores are now flooded with story plots of a girl-who-meets-someone-not-human. When you see Anna Dressed In Blood in the bookstore, you’ll probably think… “Oh goodness, not again.” But I’m telling you, this one’s different. 

Cas inherited his father’s ‘power’ of killing ghosts. With fury because of his father’s death in the hands of an unknown ghost, he does the job perfectly. "Move, hunt, kill. Like lather, rinse, and repeat." Then he moves to a town where Anna Dressed in Blood resides. But then he finds out that Anna is different from the other ghosts he killed. She has killed every person who stepped inside her house… well, except for Cas. 


The story didn’t just revolve around Cas and Anna’s romance- actually, half of it was about Cas’ killing-the-dead profession. It’s not like other YA books that make you want to throw up because of too much ‘cheesiness’. This book is definitely NOT like one of those books. They didn’t have too many cheesy moments but I assure you that you will smile when the romance finally blooms. 


I am a lover of gore so I was ecstatic on the action scenes. This is one of the things I loved about it- how Blake described what happens when Cas kills. It made the read more exciting. 


And of course, there are some things didn’t like. I think most of the characters are not developed properly. I would love to read more about Thomas, Carmel and even Gideon! My favourite character is Anna. The victim-slash-killer that Blake made her got into me. Her past made me like her even more. I like that she has story of her own.


I enjoyed reading this book. This is the kind of book that will never stop haunting if you don’t finish it in one sitting. I swear, your curiosity will never let you stop reading.


If you're reading this at night, prepare your athame. ;)

★★★★


P.S. I am reading the second book right now! :)

2 comments:

  1. Great review, I also read the book in one sitting. And I agree about the "cheesiness", it could turn out cheesy, but thankfully it didn't. I hate cheesiness. :D

    If you want to read my review of Anna, you can find it here: http://inklingsoftwobooklings.blogspot.com/2013/01/anna-dressed-in-blood-by-kendara-blake.html.

    Cheers from your new follower, Inx from Inklings of two Booklings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Inx. :) I read your review and I loved it! Thank you for following. Followed your blog too too :)

      -Anne

      Delete